SPACE HEATER DO’S & DON’TS
Heating equipment fires accounted for 15% of all reported home fires in 2012-2016 and 19% of home fire deaths. Space heaters are the type of heating equipment involved in home heating fires, figuring in two of every five heating equipment fires.Make sure to follow all the instructions for your space heater; each space heater is different and it’s important to be cautious.
- Read all the instructions BEFORE use
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from the space heater
- Get your HVAC system inspected annually
- Make sure there is a Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector in every room. Replace the batteries once a year.
- Maximize airflow and keep vents clean and clear
- Leave your space heater unattended
- Place space heaters on an uneven surface
- Use with an extension cord if avoidable
- Use a space heater if the cord or plug is damaged in any way
- Purchase a space heater without certification from a testing lab that is nationally recognized