CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING CAN HAPPEN YEAR-ROUND
Now that winter is here, many people across the country are turning on everything to keep them warm. With cold weather comes the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
More than 400 Americans die every year from unintentional CO poisoning. This can be prevented if each home installed a carbon monoxide detector. Many are easy to install, plugging right into an outlet in your wall and taking a battery. Having one is just as important as having a smoke detector. This inexpensive device can save your life from this odorless and colorless gas.
Where can carbon monoxide be found?
It’s found in fumes when you burn fuel in vehicles, generators, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. When these fumes build up indoors this can quickly poison humans and animals who breathe it.
What are the signs?
Many people don’t feel the effects until it’s too late. Which is why having a detector is so important. The most common symptoms are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
Where to install?
These should be installed on each floor of your home for maximum protection. They get the best reading when placed five feet from the ground. If you have a gas stove or fireplace, they should be installed nearby. It’s also recommended to place them near attached garages since cars produce CO any time they are running.
Where to buy?
These detectors can be found online through sites such as Amazon and at stores such as Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
What are two examples of detectors?
The first one is from First Alert,which runs around $35 and features a digital display. For those who prefer the more high-tech option, the Nest came out with a dual smoke and carbon monoxide detector for around $99. Make sure to do your research on which is best for you.
Read more on who’s at risk and how to prevent CO poisoning in your home at the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.