Being prepared for a storm can mean the difference between life and death. You don’t need to spend a lot to be prepared. Having a basic disaster supply kit can be a great aid in the event of an emergency. This isn’t something you want to worry about when you hear a storm watch is in effect, so make sure you build this in advanced.
It’s a good idea to have your preparedness kit in a spot that every member of the family knows about and is easy to grab in case you need to evacuate. We’ve prepared a check-list for you to ensure your kit has all the essentials.
- Water- enough to last 3 days
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Non-perishable food – enough for 3 days
- First aid kit – keep in mind any medications that you or your family use regularly
- Dust mask – help filter contaminated air
- Baby wipes or moist towelettes
- Tools- wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener
- Local Maps
- Cell phone with back up chargers, solar charger, inverter, etc.
Other items to think about including in your kit:
- Baby formula, food and diapers
- Pet food and water
- Family documents: insurance policies, ID’s, bank account information, contact list in a waterproof container
- Entertainment: board games, books, or puzzles
- Warm blanket or sleeping bag and warm sweaters for each member of the family
- An extra set of clothes
- Fire extinguisher
- Disposable cutlery, plates and napkins
- Feminine hygiene products